Saturday, October 25, 2014

A Little Excursion- and valuable tips I learned

Last weekend my husband and I took a quick trip to visit his sister Marcia and and her husband Steve in Palmyra, New York where they are serving as missionaries for our church.

Since we’re not really seasoned travelers, I compiled a little list of things I learned.

Here goes:

Tip #1.  When you arrive at the very late (or early) hour of 1:00 a.m., be prepared for a pleasant surprise when you wake up the next morning.

This is the view that greeted us as we looked out the front door.

Tip #2.  Don’t be shocked when you realize things might be bigger and more colorful than they are in a desert climate.

image

image

O.K., Utah does have some pretty color in the fall, but maybe not the variety of colors we saw in New York.

Tip #3.  Two hundred year old fences (or replicas) have a lot of charm that modern ones lack.

image

( The Joseph Smith family farm in Palmyra)

image

( The Joseph Smith family farm in Palmyra)

image( The Joseph Smith family farm in Palmyra)

Tip #4.  House size doesn’t determine coziness or charm.

image

image

image

(The last three photos were taken at the Peter Whitmer farm.)

image

(Smith frame house at the Joseph Smith family farm.)

image

(Smith frame house at the Joseph Smith family farm.)

image

(Smith frame house at the Joseph Smith family farm.)

Tip #5.  Don’t overlook the history and character of an old cemetery.

image

image

image

(old Palmyra cemetery)

Tip #6.  Plan on falling in love.  (At least with the scenery!)

image

View from the bottom of Hill Cumorah.

image

View from the top of Hill Cumorah.

image

Inside the Sacred Grove near the Joseph Smith family farm.

image

 

Tip #7.  Plan on not really having any “good hair days” due to added humidity and other factors..(It’s green for a good reason!)

image

image

(Niagara Falls)

Tip #8.  Realize that you will have enough photos and memories to fill many future blog posts….

image

Thanks, Elder and Sister Bean for being great hosts!

JoAnn

P.S.  If you would like to learn more about the history of the Joseph Smith farm in Palmyra go to this link or this one.

This link tells you more about Joseph Smith, the Prophet of the Restoration.

7 comments:

Karen Hoggan said...

awesome picture

Stacey said...

How beautiful! I love Upstate New York in the fall.

Irene said...

Gorgeous! I am glad you two got to get away and have fun.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

You got some gorgeous pictures! They make me even more jealous of the fun trip you guys got to go on. I'm glad you were able to have so much fun.

corners of my life said...

Glad you enjoyed our little corner of the world - Western NY.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Ahhhh...I miss driving through upstate NY and New England during the autumn season. It was always so beautiful. It looks like you had a wonderful visit with family.

My husband and I honeymooned in Niagara Falls in autumn--loved it so much! We returned with our children quite a few times when they were young.

Rosella said...

Sounds like you had a most lovely Autumn get-away! Beautiful pictures.