Sunday, October 5, 2014

Helping the poor (link to great message)

This photo is of the Rexburg, Idaho Temple.

We took this picture a few months back while visiting our family there.  Rexburg is built against a hill in a rural area of Idaho. 

Rexburg is also the home of the BYU-Idaho campus.

The temple is a beautiful structure high on the hill.

image

The day we were there was cloudy and threatening rain, but the sky was so vibrant and a gorgeous shade of blue.

image

image

Right across the street from the temple you see acres and acres of grain fields.  Stunning in a very simple way.

image

This weekend we participated in the semi-annual General Conference for our church.

There was beautiful weather, inspirational messages, and thousands of members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints gathering together to strengthen testimonies in Jesus Christ.  Conference weekend has been uplifting and rewarding once again. 

One of my favorite messages was given by Jeffery R. Holland and you can watch it by clicking here

He teaches us that we should look beyond the reasons why people might need help, not judging if they have created their own troubles or not, and reach out to them with compassion.

It was a message that made me stop and think about my own actions and maybe change my attitude a bit.

Aren’t we all poor in some way-at some time?

This world could use more charity and love.

If each one of us did just a little more to make things better, imagine the changes we could make.

I’m going to try.

JoAnn

P.S. It was fun having a sleep-over with you Maddie, Brooklyn, Joshua, and Olivia! 

Sorry you have been sick, Zachary!  I missed you, Aubrey, and little Paul.

5 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

Such an uplifting weekend. I especially needed it this week. Now I too need to go back and listen to all the talks again. Thank you again for helping with my kids this weekend. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't survive without you! Love you both mom and dad!

Irene said...

Thanks for taking on the kids for the weekend, they had so much fun. It was an amazing conference, we are so blessed to hear words of inspiration twice a year.

Canadian Chickadee said...

What beautiful photos -- and what glorious skies. WE really do live in the most beautiful country on earth. xoxox

Anonymous said...

Yes, GC was indeed a highlight...that will refresh one soul and carry-on!

HUgs

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I agree, Joann! I worked in a city hospital and I saw many people that some would say caused their own problems, but I often felt that their lives were out of control for reasons they could not handle or prevent. To give them compassion and assistance was the right things to do.