(All of the art on this page was created by students at our school.Some of it was done last year.)
"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep."
-Scott Adams
Our school has a wonderful arts program. The students get to spend time each week with an art, music, and dance teacher.
We recently had a Math/Art program for parents and it was quite amazing.
(Over 1800 pieces of art are now hanging in the halls at our school!)
The kids sang songs about gravity, fractions, and subtraction.
They did a rap about probability.
They told stories about the planets and other science concepts through dance.
It was impressive.
Many of our students have never had any artistic training. Most have never had any kind of private music lessons. Dance lessons are a real luxury. Some don't even have crayons in their home.
Beverly Taylor Sorenson has generously donated millions of dollars to give low income schools like ours, and others throughout the state of Utah, a wonderful exposure to the arts.
The grant only pays half of the cost and cutbacks may mean the end of the program. This could be our last year to have this opportunity.
If you have a chance, please let your local legislator know how important the arts are to our educational system!
Thanks,
JoAnn
(The Beverly Taylor Sorenson link is to an article in "The Salt Lake Tribune". It was written by Brian Maffly and Julie Checkoway. I hope I'm not violating copy right laws. It is a great article. Check it out.)



6 comments:
What a great program. I hope you don't lose it. I think the arts are more important than anything else we can teach.
I love your art projects! They need to be in a museum.
I love all the pictures. Kids are so creative! I too hope you don't loose the program!
All the art at school is impressive. They do such fun projects. I love watching their performances. This program definitely helps our kids be more creative. They also learn a lot through this cross teaching method.
Katie C.
Hi Joann,
I think its wonderful how you take such pride in your students work. I'm sure the parents appreciate a teacher like you who tries to make a difference.
Love the quotes on your side bar too! Especially the one about it being hard to smile without clean underwear. LOL!
Sharon
Great pictures! I just retired from teaching elementary art!
The pictures are GREAT - framable, for sure! I wish we didn't loose that 'pure' feeling for art as we age - it's so sweet. Great mosaic!
Post a Comment