Friday, November 27, 2009

The great hot roll experiment.....

Remember how I told you that I made hot rolls for our Thanksgiving dinner- for twenty-four people? Well, I didn't tell you that I only make them about once a year and haven't always perfected them.
(Yes, I did make a batch of Rhodes rolls, too, just in case......


I even had a little helper.
Maddie had a great time rolling out her dough. She and I worked side by side.

We watched and waited......
and worried a little.....


They looked pretty, but how would they taste?


Delicious! (Whew!)
They actually turned out pretty good this time.
(At least we ate them all!)


My version of Peggy's Hot Roll recipe

4 cups warm water (I used 2 cups warm water and 2 cups warm milk)
1 cup shortening (I used 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup shortening)
1 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
4 eggs
3 tablespoons yeast
12 cups flour

I melted the shortening/ butter in the warm liquid and let it cool a bit before adding the yeast.
Stir in the yeast and let it dissolve.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
(The dough will be slightly sticky.)
Cover and let it raise (about 1 hour).
Punch the dough down and let it raise one more time (about another hour).
(The dough can be covered tightly and refrigerated at this point and rolled out later if you want.)
Roll out into a big circle and spread with melted butter.
Cut in triangle pie shapes and roll up like a croissant.
Place on cookie sheet and let raise again (around an hour).
Bake at 350 degrees for 12 - 15 minutes.


JoAnn

Stay tuned for more Thanksgiving Day adventures!
(I told you I was thankful for my cell phone!)


10 comments:

The Gathering Place said...

I love the Maddie rolls. The all turned out delicious. I ate way too many.

The Gathering Place said...

haha comment is from Liz not mom. (I hate sharing computers)

Katie said...

They turned out beautifully! (how were maddie's?)

The Razon's said...

Those look awesome! I cant ever make bread/rolls work out but I just might have to try again!

A New England Life said...

That's a LOT of rolls! And a lot of people to serve them to! Glad they turned out well. Phew! is right! Always good to have a back up in these instances too.

Hope you had a wonderful Turkey Day, JoAnn!

A New England Life said...

Btw, I would guess it was Maddie who made those rolls so darned delicious ; )

julie said...

The rolls look perfect! I'll have to give the recipe a try...?

Beth at Aunties said...

They look Beautiful!
Maddie is darling:)( does she spell her name with two d's? Our Maddison does.)
These look just like mine did! Except when they came from the oven it was time to eat...and I didn't get any finished pictures! Ha! I even made a pan of rhoades rolls just in case...so I smiled as I read your post!

lilnda said...

I would love one right about now! I can't believe we didn't get together even once this year during the holildays. We have to do it soon and guess what...you can bring the rolls!! love ya

linda said...

can you tell I was in a hurry??