I thought I'd share a little story.
Christmas Ornaments
By JoAnn Clegg
The last set of tiny, colored lights was finally in place. Our Christmas tree stood nestled between the piano and the hutch in the same corner of the living room every year. The red and green plaid bows and the cranberry garland had been carefully hung giving the tree that familiar look that our family loved so much.
The ornaments were gently lifted out of the cardboard box, layers of tissue paper protecting the fragile ones. Golden bells, wooden soldiers, fabric hearts, and musical instruments were placed on the branches. Our decorations wouldn't have a very high market value, but how priceless they are to us in memories.
One of my favorite, a glass Santa that my parents bought when I was a little girl (our children call it "the antique"), is always hung up high in the front. The reflection of the colored glass gives only wonderful memories of a small farm house in southern Idaho filled with lots of love. I can still taste the pineapple filled cookies with cinnamon and sugar sprinkled on top and the steaming hot chocolate we drank after our sleigh rides behind dad's tractor around the block (four mile long country blocks, that is).
Patchwork fabric balls and wooden hearts were some of the first decorations after we got married (two days after Christmas-what were we thinking!). We were going to college and had more creativity than money.
A cradle reminds me of the year we brought home a five-day-old baby girl. Rocking a sweet, new infant in my arms in a cozy, warm house gave me a greater appreciation for another mother long ago.
I can laugh about the cute gray mouse ornament now, but the year a real one came in from the garage in the decoration boxes I thought I'd die!
A little red sleigh brings back a bittersweet memory. Our family had taken up residence on the fifth floor oncology department at University Hospital. Our mother, a patient, was very ill. She had been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Weeks before she had buried her dear husband and our father, who also suffered from cancer. Our hearts were all hurting. She had tried to keep our family strong during this trial, but her spirits were getting low. We kept a vigilant watch, looking for anything we could to brighten up her spirits. Wanting desperately to give her some happiness, we spent hours looking for a perfect gift. We looked at bathrobes, slippers, jewelry. We scoured the bookstores. Remembrances of many Christmas morning when we had been delighted with thoughtful gifts and presents flooded our memories and we wanted to show her the same love and excitement. We went through the book store again and again. Nothing was appropriate. Mother had probably given away more homemade bread, hot soup and delicious desserts than any welcome wagon in a large city. She looked out for the widows, the new mothers, or anyone within two counties who was sick. She deserved some happiness. Now!
And then we knew. We started baking. We wrapped little loaves of nut bread; bought mints, oranges, and hand lotion. We made popcorn balls. We filled a little red sleigh full of colorful packages and treats and put it beside her bed. A familiar glow returned to her face as she handed out gifts to every doctor, nurse, technician, and visitor that entered her room. She found joy and happiness in that which she loved doing-serving others.
Mother passed away two weeks after Christmas, but we will always remember her as a loving, compassionate person giving service. I am grateful that she and my father were great examples of selfless service.
Our tree is full of wonderful ornaments (memories) and we will add many more as the years pass. How nice it is to be reminded of our blessings each year as we enjoy our Christmas tree!
(Mildred and Dennis Hall)
We miss you!
♥
JoAnn
P.S. Our dad passed away on this day, December 8, 1987, twenty-three years ago.
P.S. Our dad passed away on this day, December 8, 1987, twenty-three years ago.

10 comments:
That is a nice tribute. Wouldn't
it be awesome to get a glimpse of Heaven and all our dear family members. So grateful to have a knowledge of where they are. Looking forward to Christmas eve with you!
That story makes me cry everytime I read it. I used that in my talk last week. It's the perfect story to share when talking about the true spirit of Christmas. I really do feel like I missed so much with them. I can't wait until I can see them again.
That is a wonderful tribute, and yes, I'm also crying. Such wonderful examples to us all. So grateful for all the fond memories I have with them & so blessed to have them next door. I Love & miss them so much! I'm sure Grandma, Grandpa, Shane, and many others are busy baking away on the other side. I am also so grateful for the knowledge of the gospel. Love you all! Thanks for the story, I might use it in my talk coming up too!
Great story. Thanks Jo! Love you guys. Merry Christmas!
What a wonderful story about the many memories your Christmas tree ornaments hold... what a wonderful blessing to get to see that tree every day to bless you with wonderful memories through the Christmas season.
Thank you JoAnn. What a sweet tribute. We have such a rich heritage. Mom's and Dad's examples still have an impact on me every single day!
I cried reading this as well. I have such great memories of Grandma and Grandpa. It's funny, I was just thinking the other day how I loved our ornaments growing up. I've carried on the tradition of the patchwork foam ball ornaments. I could have bought something but I chose to make them because I loved them so much as a child.
Thank you, I love hearing about your family growing up.
Grandma and Grandpa Hall were some of the most loving and generous people. I wish we all had more time with them. It would be nice to know them as an adult.
I love all our old ornaments. They certainly don't look as nice or classy as the ones on our new tree, but they remind me of Happy Christmases from our childhood. I also miss our small trees with the colored lights. I have great memories of them.
Katie C.
Thanks for sharing a meaningful memory of your tree. It's wonderful to see how your parents have been a blessing to you and gave you a legacy. So many people do not have Family...we are blessed..
Post a Comment