Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What makes a house a home?

“A house is made of walls and beams;
a home is built with love and dreams.”
-anonymous

Conn home
(This is the home where Ken’s family lived in Connecticut.)
I love to look at different styles of houses. 

I always wonder what the inside of the house looks like;
is it warm and cozy, formal, stylish, humble, clean, or messy?
Sometimes you can tell just by looking at the front porch and the yard that it must be charming and inviting inside.
But….
Recently, I saw some houses on HGTV’s House Hunters International that were located off the coast of Mexico that literally looked like shacks on the outside, but were spacious, modern, and lovely on the inside.  Who would have guessed!
So….
What makes a house a home?

Is it the size?
image

This little house is where I lived for the first ten-ish years of my life.  The picture doesn’t show the whole house, but almost.  I think it had two bedrooms, one bathroom, one living room, and one kitchen. 
I have great memories of this house!
(I’m the young girl in the middle row, looking sort of confused.)
Later it was expanded to this size.
081404 014

Is it the furnishings?

I’ve been in some beautiful , multi-million dollar Parade of Homes houses that I could just move right in to, but I’ve also been in some that left me feeling cold and uninvited.
So…   What is the secret?
I’m no expert, but here is what I think:
♥ Fill a house with love, laughter, and people who are kind to each other.
♥ Try to make it clean and organized.
♥ Do what you can to make it warm and cozy.
♥ Be creative.
♥ Allow it to be “livable”.
♥ Make sure that good memories are made there.
Do you agree?
JoAnn

3 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love those pictures. The first one of your house before the addition looks so incomplete. It really looks like part of the house is just missing. I know it's just because I'm used to seeing it with the added space though. And dad's old house is beautiful. I would love to see the inside as well.

I would also agree with what you say makes a house a home. The atmosphere you create in the home is what truly is important... Now if only I had one of my own.

LInda said...

Good pointers Jo. Some people have to have it so "show case" clean that no one is allowed to live in it. (I love Clean but I will never see "show case" clean!) I love the pictures. Makes me a little homesick. I too loved that house.

Marg said...

I love looking at those photos, the new and the old...but you put it right on...it's what you fill it...I love your down to earth list. That's what really counts...I've got some really neat photos like that...I'll have to scan them in and give everyone a smile.