Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Aubrey Elizabeth

image

Yesterday, little Aubrey’s kind doctor, Doctor McKenna,  explained to us that she was born with a condition called Trisomy 21, better known as Down’s Syndrome. She has all or part of an extra 21st chromosome that can cause cognitive and physical differences in her little body.

While she doesn’t really have very many physical characteristics associated with Downs,  she does have some breathing problems.  She may be on oxygen until her body gets stronger.

She will probably take longer to reach her developmental milestones, and will have limits on certain abilities.

She doesn’t seem to have the heart problems which are very common, and she is a good eater, both of which are great blessings.

Her parents love her dearly and her big sisters are so excited to have her come home (We hope soon!).

Little Aubrey will face some different challenges (the unknown is the most frightening part), but she has already won over so many hearts!  We know that special needs children require extra work, but that they bring an abundance of love and joy to a family.

We feel very privileged to have her

join our family!

I found this poem that expresses my feelings better than I could:

The Creed of Babies with Down Syndrome

Author unknown – submitted by Hope Colen

My face might be different

But my feelings the same

I laugh and I cry

And I take pride in my gains

I was sent here among you

To teach you to love

As god in the heavens

Looks down from above

To him I’m no different

His love knows no bounds

It’s those here among you

In cities and towns

That judge me by standards

That man has imparted

But this family I’ve chosen

Will help me get started

For I’m one of the children

So special and few

That came here to learn

The same lessons as you

That love is acceptance

It must come from the heart

We all have the same purpose

Though not the same start

The Lord gave me life

To live and embrace

And I’ll do as you do

But at my own pace.

Thanks for all the prayers!

JoAnn

7 comments:

Linda said...

Very sweetly expressed. She is beautiful and I can't wait to hold her. Love you all.

Anonymous said...

As a grandmother of a special needs child, I can attest they bring great love and a special spirit into the family. There are challanges but also great joy and satisfaction as they develop their talents and abilities. We all join your in loving her and pledge to help in any way we can. Love all of you.

Carolyn

julie said...

She is beautiful and we look forward to meeting her in person (we love her already). She will undoubtedly touch our whole family in ways no one else could! Love you guys!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love that poem. It is so true. I love my little Aubrey and can't wait until we can actually enjoy being together as a family!

Megan and Brian Askew said...

Congratulations on the new sweet baby Grandma. I know the Clegg family is ready to give her all the love and support she needs.

jen said...

I love that poem! I too can't wait to hold sweet little Aubrey! She is beautiful & will be a blessing to all of us! I Love you guys!

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Joann, congratulations on the birth of Aubrey! She is beautiful and I know she will be well loved and cherished by your whole family!