Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Matthew Cuthbert and 24 Pounds of strawberries…

It’s strawberry season here in Utah!
(At least at Costco.)
image
A few days ago my son, Robbie, called from Costco to tell me they had strawberries on sale.  We agreed that it would be a good time to stock up on some delicious freezer jam, so he said he would go ahead and pick up some fruit and other jam supplies.
HE CAME HOME WITH 24 POUNDS OF STRAWBERRIES!
For some families, that might be just a drop in the bucket for their needs, but we usually put up MUCH less jam than that.
(Guess we will have some ideas for Christmas gifts!)
Robbie took on the responsibility of taking care of all that fruit.
Thank you, Robbie!

2011_0620jamStrawberry0001
2011_0620jamStrawberry0009
He has spent a LOT of time in the kitchen the last few days, but doesn’t his jam look delicious!

Now, about Matthew Cuthbert….
Do you remember reading this classic novel by L. M. Montgomery?
image
Shy old Matthew Cuthbert wanted to buy a fashionable dress for their adopted orphan Anne (whom he adored, yet realized that sensible Marilla  dressed very plainly),  but he didn’t know the first thing about  dress shopping, let alone having to communicate with a female store clerk.
In his attempt at shopping he ended up buying a garden rake (it was winter) and twenty pounds of brown sugar, but was just too shy to ask for a dress.
He finally got a neighbor, Mrs. Lynde, to make a beautiful dress with “puffed sleeves” and the story has a touching moment when he gives her his heartfelt gift.
“Anne’s eyes filled with tears and she proclaimed, ‘I don’t see how I’m going to eat breakfast.  Breakfast seems so commonplace at such an exciting moment.’”
-L.M. Montgomery
So…
Robbie’s buying 24 pounds of strawberries is quite a different situation than the one in the book , but  it made me think about the novel, and isn’t it nice to remember an old friend?
Well, I’m off to eat some strawberries!
JoAnn

5 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

That is a whole lot of strawberries! Yum! But it was Sams club we got them at, not cosco and I did a lot of the top popping off of those strawberries... :)

linda said...

Robbie you rock. I can help out if you can't find room in your freezer. haha

Megan and Brian Askew said...

Katy can make the bread, and we can eat bread and jam at every team meeting:)

Martha said...

Strawberry jam is good! I've never seen fruit on sale at Costco -- but perhaps I'm never there at the right time!

Mimi Sue said...

I love making strawberry jam for many reasons. One of them is when you're making it the house smells so good! Love your little Aubrey. My new little grandgirl was born on May 28th. Is that pond Katie is walking around in Kaysville? It sure looks familiar. We might be her new neighbors! Mimi