Saturday, October 8, 2011

Digging Through The Past…..

 

It’s Saturday and I am cleaning my bedroom.

Why, you might ask, am I stopping in the middle of my project to do a blog post?

(I am easily distracted.?.)

Today is one of those cleaning times where one digs a little deeper and looks at some of the things that have been taking up storage space.  The paper shredder has been busy eating up old insurance papers, really old paycheck stubs, and so on.

I’ve found a few lost socks way under the bed and a Wal-Mart gift card that I’m not even sure is of value any more.

Last year’s Christmas cards from friends are still in a box, waiting to be filed or discarded. 

So many decisions to make.

What do I keep?

What do I toss? 

(WILL I REALIZE NEXT WEEK THAT IT WAS SOMETHING THAT I NEEDED?!!!)

I think the real reason people collect clutter is that it is so difficult to make decisions on whether to save it, chuck it, or even where to store it.

With that said, I am glad that I have saved photos and cards from my past.  The picture below is from my college days and two of my roommates, Marcia and Joyce, and myself.  We had great experiences and bonding time as we attended BYU together.

image

Marcia is now my sister-in-law, but I haven’t seen Joyce for many years.   We keep in touch every Christmas with letters and pictures.  We send wedding gifts to children that we have never met.  We keep hoping that our paths will cross again soon.

So, that is my problem. 

As I clean, I have to stop and relive good memories.  The little files in my mind are also getting a nice workout.  Let’s hope the process can go quickly enough that I can uncover my bed tonight.

Now…. if I could just make some decisions!

JoAnn

P.S.  Did you know the I am part of a cult?

Robert Jeffress, a senior pastor of the 10,000 member First Baptist Church of Dallas said that Mitt Romney who is running for President of the United States is a good person, but of a cult.  His words were, “We understand Mormonism is not Christianity and thus the difference between somebody who’s moral and good like Mitt Romney and a true born-again follower of Christ.”

I’d just like to reply:

Dear Pastor Jeffress,

Our religion is CENTERED on Jesus Christ.  The name of our church is

“The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints”.

We believe that Jesus Christ is the Savior of this world and we love, honor,  and serve Him.

Whether or not Mitt Romney should be elected president of the United States should not be dependent on his religion, but on his strengths as a leader.

Yours truly,

A fellow Christian,

JoAnn Clegg

P.P.S.  Do soapboxes and deep cleaning go together?

6 comments:

Pondside said...

They absolutely go together!
This was a sweet post - your experience of tidying is so like one that I would have.
Re your church being called a cult - it seems that there is a lot of that slandering going on - Gov Perry called the Catholic church a cult. I think that some of those politicians need to slow down, quiet down and listen to God.

Lacey said...

YES! Deep cleaning and soap boxes go hand in hand. :) I love that picture of you and your roomies from college-- a definite keeper!!!

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

You just needed me around. I don't have any trouble throwing stuff away :) I hate clutter and I've moved too often to collect it. I guess that is what has made me good at it though.

Marg said...

I love you regardless whether they announce you to be a cult or not...That is so ridiculous. I alway love your comebacks...
And I'm like you...when I start a project, I think...I could make post...I keep only photos and specialty cards.
You Go Girl!!!

linda said...

Great comments. When you figure the cleaning thing out , please share! I am sorry for people that show their ignorance on facts on such a public platform. I think pondside said it well.

Elizabeth said...

Hi, I just found your blog. Loved the post. Your letter to Pastor Jeffries was great. This past Sunday, we had a Sunday School lesson on Jeffries' comments and it was interesting to say the least. So happy the church is taking the high road. :)