Friday, June 29, 2012

From the table to the bed…or how to repurpose

We found these cute table cloths at Target and turned them into bedroom curtains.  All I had to do was sew a simple seam across the top.

(Well, all I had to do was have Liz sew a simple seam across the top.)

Thanks, Liz!

I think they work great as curtains!

I know the style is to hang curtains as high as you can, but this window has molding around it and it just worked better to hang the rod there.

The white pillow was a little bathroom rug that I bought and never used.  It didn’t have rubber backing and would slip and slide.  It is one of those soft, fluffy ones.  The other yellow pillow came from K-Mart’s garden center.

image

image

The bed (Craig’s List find) got a fresh coat of white paint and the antique dresser from Grandma Palmer was left as it is.

image

The red rocking chair was originally my Grandma Hall’s.  It would be an archeologist’s delight with all the different colors of paint underneath.  Also, the rockers were once removed (my mother didn’t want it to ding up my new bedroom walls when I was young) and then new ones were made and added back (Ken is a handyman with a sense of perfection and missing rockers really bothered him).  The Warren Kimball print was brought in from another room.

I’m still looking for a throw to go on the foot of the bed with some blue and yellow in it and some of the wall pictures aren’t quite right.  Also, Robbie wants me to paint the walls a soft blue.  (Some other day!)

But

I like my created-on-a-really-tight-budget-bedroom.

It will soon get some use as we are hosting Jared, my niece’s husband, as he spends July doing a medical school rotation at the U of U Medical Center.

Well, I’m off to see what uses I can find for some of the deep-in-the-back-of-the-closet-finds that I recently unearthed!

JoAnn

P.S.  I saw these cute hand embroidered dish towels turned wall

hangings at the Parade of Homes.  Maybe that can be my next project.  I grew up during a time and place when a bride had a trousseau of hand stitched pillow cases, dish towels, and quilts.

I probably have some just like these.  (Does anyone out there remember the old church bazaars where women would sell their handiwork? Or quilting bees?) It would be fun to actually put some of them to use-instead of saving them in a cedar chest.

 

image

image

6 comments:

Pondside said...

I love your new-to-you room and it looks like it will be a very comfortable place for a guest to snuggle into.
I have a number of tea towels and pillowcases from my mother's hope chest. There are also a couple of table cloths and tea napkins - so pretty and finally stitched. I like your idea of framing and hanging.

Mimi Sue said...

Your guest room is turning out so cozy. Love what you've done. Love your new curtains especially. Mimi

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I think the room turned out quite nicely. I really do like the difference the curtains made in the room. And I still think it's crazy that everyone has an exact same set of Sunday-Saturday pillowcases... they are pretty cute though.

Canadian Chickadee said...

What a great room! I love "thinking outside the box" and using things for other than their original purposes. The tablecloth curtains look lovely, and the idea of framing the tea towels is great. I have a set carefully tucked away in a drawer which my mother embroidered, and my daughter has a set too. She draped her set over her curtain rods as a valence in her kitchen. She said it reminds her of Nana and makes her smile every time she sees them. Thanks for sharing your great ideas.

Marg said...

I love the colors in your new room. I,ve been looking for a tablecloth in blues and yellows...those colors are crisp, fresh and clean. I still have some of those had stitched doilies or pillow slips from my grandmother...my mother did very little hand work..so evidently I don,t have a lot of souvenirs.

Teresa said...

Love the yellow....and how clever =)
The room is very charming!