Thursday, June 21, 2012

A little corner to read in….

 

image

A week or so ago my sister Linda and I went to the Utah Valley Parade of Homes.  It is something we do every summer.  We enjoy spending the whole day together, finding it a good time to catch up on everything, explore new neighborhoods, discover fun new places to eat, and dream a little (or a lot). 

image

We carry along our cameras and snap pictures of things we like and want to remember.  I thought this little reading nook was so cute.  It was hard getting a good photo since I was shooting right at the window, but I wanted to share it anyway.

image

As a teacher (and someone who enjoys losing myself in a good book), I love the emphasis this idea gives to reading.  How  much easier to teach kids to love reading when they have their own little space to do it in.  Also, it is so much easier when you have the books right there on display.  I would have added some kind of lamp, but I love this idea.

This idea from Pinterest was as simple as turning a closet into a little nook. (I don’t have enough closets to give one up!)

We were once told by one of our children’s teachers to make sure our kids saw us reading every day.  The teacher even suggested cutting a hole in the newspaper and pretending to read if we just wanted to watch television.

My favorite place to read when I was young was in a big tree.

“The man who does not read good books has no

advantage over the man who can't read.”

                      - Mark Twain

Well, I have now convinced myself that I need to go find a comfy spot and a new novel.

What better way to start off my summer vacation!

 

9 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I've actually decided I do need to start reading more often... now I just need to find the time in all of our craziness that we call life.

wendy said...

I love reading too!!!! I love being surrounded by books.

I used to go to the Parade of Homes too and always enjoyed it. Couldn`t believe the spectacular homes available to buy...BY SOMEONE OTHER THEN ME
never in my price range (tee,hee)
but as you said, fun to read
and get ideas.

Pondside said...

Reading has always been one of my greatest pleasures. You know - I have a book in each car and a stack on the bedside table. When I think about it, I always saw my dad reading - still do, as a matter of fact!
The recipe I used from your family book? Ham and Cheese Souffle on page 41. I made three of them for brunch on the morning after the wedding!

Canadian Chickadee said...

I too love to read. The only time that got me in trouble was the time I curled up in the wheelbarrow to read when I was supposed to be raking leaves!!

Canadian Chickadee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mimi Sue said...

I would love a little nook to read in too! I always have a book going and in the summer I love to sit on our porch swing and read. Mimi

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I love both reading nooks! I have often wished my house was big enough for something like them. I do have a favorite chair with a good light where I sit to read,. The basket next to it is full of magazines and books waiting for me :)

Erika@BeBookBound said...

Yes! I LOVED this little reading nook, too! I'm so glad to find a fellow "parader"! There were a few highlights for me this year (like the ones I put on the blog), but not nearly as much as I would have liked. Oh well, maybe next year . . . Thanks for stopping by Be Book Bound! So glad to meet you .

Erika@BeBookBound said...

Yes! I loved this little reading nook, too! I also loved the picture of those books that was on the wall next to the nook. I'm so glad you're a fellow "parader"! I thought there were definitely some highlights this year on the parade (like the ones I put on my blog), but not nearly as many as I would have liked. Oh well, maybe next year . . . So glad you stopped by Be Book Bound!