Friday, August 10, 2012

Manners and Culture 101…

 

It seems like almost everyone has enjoyed watching the “Royals” during the Olympics.   I know I have.

 

Will and Kate are all over the Olympics

(credit)

Not only are they attractive, but they are refined and classy, too.  I heard a television reporter commenting on how Kate is always a lady and is a good role model for youth today.  She always dresses modestly, is well groomed, and acts appropriately, all while seeming to be having a good time.  (Having her designer wardrobe wouldn’t  hurt, either!)

In a world where people wear pajamas to the store, clothing too tight or full of holes, and bizarre and unusual hair and make-up, it is refreshing to me to see their good examples.

I’ve always wanted to be like that!

My kids would say I’m more like this:

(photo credit)

Just like Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced “bouquet”) on the British comedy “Keeping Up Appearances”, I’ve been working on my social climbing skills. 

(link)

I don’t drink tea, but if I did I’d remember to bend my pinkie just so.

(Even if it isn’t really the correct way.)

I know that….

“How are you?” isn’t a question, but a greeting.

And…

A lady always sits with her knees together.

Besides, we have The Great American Bathroom Book (where all the classic books are summarized).

I’m still working on the good posture thing, and I could NEVER give up on my old levis.

Sometimes I feel much more like Hyacinth’s sister Daisy and brother-in-law Onslow.

(You would not have wanted to see me last week as I cleaned the garage!)

We do try to enrich our lives by attending cultural events in our community.  This summer I have seen:

“The Sound of Music”

“My Fair Lady”

“Kiss Me Kate”

“Faust”

and my favorite “Wicked”

 

My father-in-law treated all his children and spouses to three plays at the Utah Opera Festival in Logan.  We had such a fun time being together.  We enjoyed eating at the Bluebird Café and Maddox Family Restaurant (Yummy fresh peach pie!), as well as visiting Gosner’s Cheese Factory and some fun home decorating stores.

My family gave me “Wicked” tickets last Christmas.  What a treat that was!

As you can see, I am attempting to be more cultured.

It is a slow process.

I don’t think I’ll ever be considered a role model, and I’m sure no one would ever seek my advice, but at least I’m trying.

Well, it isn’t polite to keep “Miss Manners” (Judith Martin) waiting, so I’m off to study!

JoAnn

 

4 comments:

Pondside said...

Please feel free to summarize whatever else you learn from Miss Manners - your readers are waiting!

wendy said...

Oh where where where did class and good manners go.
I love Kate Middleton...she is a doll, and yes, always modest.
Why can't our youth gravitate towards THAT instead of those "others"
HEY...I found out YOU DO NOT HOLD YOUR PINKY UP when drinking tea.
Supposedly, the Proper way is to delicately hold all your fingers together.
Wish I could show you....hard to explain.
That's.....what I heard.

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I too would love to be more "cultured". Too bad it is so expensive to be so cultured... Maybe we will be there one day.

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

This was a hysterical post, JoAnn! You had me chuckling. I love the Hyacinth character and her ever thwarted process towards "social climbing" :)

I do like Kate Middleton and William --they genuinely seems to have a god time in each other's company.