Sunday, September 7, 2014

A Beautiful Day at the Farmers’ Market…

Every summer should end with at least one visit to a local Farmers’ Market.

Project2

My daughter, Michelle, and I love to go to the Saturday morning market in down town Salt Lake City, held in Pioneer Park.

We try and go every year.

Here are the reasons why we like to go:

The produce is freshly picked, beautifully arranged, reasonably priced, and delicious.

It is local and supports vendors in the community.

The smells from the produce, food booths, and fall air all mixing together are sweet, tangy, spicy, musky, and a little foreign.

People watching is never dull.

We experiment and try something new for lunch, chosen from the many different ethnic vendors sharing their native dishes.

Entertainment is free and different.

Freshly squeezed lime with mint drinks are worth the splurging price of $4.00.

It is a fun bonding time together.

And…

It’s kind of a welcome mat for fall (my favorite time of all) and the harvest season.

Do you have a Farmers’ Market near you?

imageimage

imageimage

image

Hope your week is pleasant and exciting!

JoAnn

7 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I love farmers markets! I've especially loved working at them this summer. Such a fun atmosphere! I'm glad you guys got to go.

Pondside said...

Yes, we have a number of small farmers' markets nearby, and lots of farm stands at the side of the road. I loved your description of the reasons for your love of farmers' markets - you brought the sights and smells to life.

Rosella said...

Yes, we too have many wonderful large and smaller farmer's markets in our area. I agree that everyone should visit this plentiful time of year - so colourful and vibrant. I discovered homemade soap the way my mom made it right here at a local farmer's market only to find out that it is my cousin who is making it. I've purchased a block for each of my siblings to give at Christmas! You never know what you'll find :).

Stacey said...

We have the sweetest farmer's market in our little town. The fruits and vegetables really are locally grown which is exciting to us. I've been know to buy things that I had no clue what to do with...just so I didn't have to say no to one of the nice people selling. :)

I guess you are back to school now?

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

I haven't found as many good Farmer's Markets here as I thought I would. Boulder has a nice one, but that is over an hour drive form where we live. The one closest to us has more products than fresh vegetables. farming is hard in Colorado soil and weather, so there are not that many heavy producing local farms.There are more ranches. I think beer is Colorado's biggest home grown product right now...and that "other thing" that they made legal right before we moved here--sigh!

Canadian Chickadee said...

Sounds fabulous. Now I'm hungry -- and champing at the bit, for a farmer's market! xoxox

corners of my life said...

I love the name of your blog . . .