We live in a world where negative happenings seem to get a lot more attention than positive, upbeat news does.
(If you watch the 10:00 nightly news you know what I mean.)
Sometimes it is easy to get depressed and discouraged, thinking people are just wrapped up with their own problems and that no one really cares about others. Or we think our own lives are full of disappointment and sadness, while every one else is living the good life. One negative thought always produces another one.
Don’t you love when stories about human kindness, or resilient human nature go viral on the internet? It is uplifting to me to see someone take the lemons life dishes at them and turn them in to a sweet lemonade. Sometimes it is through the simple example of another person that we can deal with our own problems.
Our little granddaughter, Brooklyn, was recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease (a genetic gluten intolerance). Coming from a long line of “foodies”, that news was frustrating to all of us. We love eating, cooking, and planning what we will eat and cook tomorrow or next week, or at Thanksgiving or Christmas.
After a very tiny mourning period, Liz, our daughter, was able to share her feelings about the situation.
We have been encouraged by our church leaders to be positive influences on others- to spread some goodness, if you will.
I’m so proud of her attitude that I want to share the goodness of her message with you.
I hope it will help someone.

Liz and Brooklyn
This is just a small example of passing along the positive:
This summer when we found out I was going to have to drive Aubrey all the way across town to preschool instead of going to the elementary school in our neighborhood I was really bummed. My Dad reminded me that Heavenly Father knows what he's doing and that things would work out. I figured there was a good reason why this ended up happening, but I was still bugged. When we found out that Brooklyn has celiac disease last week, I was heart broken for my poor girl. We love homemade breads, pancakes, crepes and all other gluten filled products and knew this was going to be a very hard adjustment. This week while dropping Aubrey off at preschool we learned that one of her teachers also has celiac disease and that she used to own a gluten free bakery. Yesterday I spent the day shopping and learning so much from this wonderful lady and am now feeling so much more prepared for the life ahead of us. This morning she brought in a slice of her special bread for us to try. It was THE absolutely most amazing piece of gluten free bread I have ever eaten! It was so close to the bread we know and love! Now I am armed with new recipes and knowledge and ready to take on the world. Once again, proof positive that Heavenly Father knows me personally and knows exactly what I need to help us get through this new phase of our lives!

Thanks for sharing your good attitude, Liz!
We love you!
JoAnn
(Mom)
P.S. Thanks to all the people who stepped in with food, recipes, and encouragement!
4 comments:
Reading this again just makes me cry! I really do feel so blessed to have so many wonderful people in our lives. Thanks for always being such a positive influence to me in my life. I love you!
What a powerful, sweet message this morning.
Especially this-
"Once again, proof positive that Heavenly Father knows me personally and knows exactly what I need to help us get through this new phase of our lives! "
Thank you,
Laura
White Spray Paint
Proof! What a sweet message for all of us today. :)
I'm so glad everyone knows how to help your precious baby grand girl.
My daughter-in-law and one of my grandsons eat gluten free. The other grandson and my son eat gluten free to make it easier. I've been learning to prepare meals that way when they visit. I thought it would be difficult but happily there are many flour blends and mixes that are very helpful. I ike King Arthur Flour blends and mixes and Bob's Red Mill. I also put an emphasis on veggies for a meal--much healthier that way!
Post a Comment