Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Preserving the past.....

Don't you love digital cameras?
My daughter takes thousands of pictures of her two little girls. She can capture a fun moment, immediately download the pictures to her computer, shoot off an email, and Voila-I can share in the excitement. Her children will have well documented memory books, with plenty of pictures to choose from.

It hasn't always been so.
When I was really young, we had an old camera similar to this Brownie.

(Photo from Google.com)
Film was expensive to develop, the quality was quite inferior, and the pictures were in black and white! Our family wasn't rich and so at our house a roll of film might stay around in the camera from holiday to holiday. When you finally got your pictures developed, you might not even have any that you liked.

I don't have a lot of pictures to document my early years-but the ones I do have mean a lot to me. The picture at the top of this post is of my cousin, Kay, and myself at the family cemetery plot. In the background you can see an old car and some relatives standing around visiting (probably catching up on life's comings and goings). We are probably holding some iris or lilacs from our grandma's garden in little Mason jars filled with water.
Lots of history in that little picture.

But....
Notice the crumpled edges of the photo, the cracks, the glued on scrapbook paper, and the fading details?
I need to do some restoring to a lot of old pictures!

I also need to take care of all the thousands of photos that I have taken with my digital camera.
Kind of daunting to think about it, isn't it?

My blogging friend Marg has some great ideas on her post today about organizing family photos. You might want to check it out. After all, we all want to hold on to those great memories!

Have a great day tomorrow!

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened."
-Author: Dr. Seuss


JoAnn

6 comments:

Lacey said...

I truly think that digital cameras are one of the greatest technologies that the Lord has blessed us with!

Marg said...

Hey that is too funny...we do think too similiar...I have some memory photos just like you....and they are all torn..I will send you my link from last year.
Secondly I have very few photos from myself as a small child growing up and as you said, those that I have are scanned into my computer...
Thanks for promoting my blog, my friend...

Marg said...

There's my link Joanne that has a few early photos of me...

http://margs-home-again.blogspot.com/2009/02/whos-birthday-is-it-today.html

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

I don't think I've ever seen that picture of you before. That's neat. I really think we need to get all of your old pictures scanned too! I'm excited to have all of mine and Karl's scanned soon too!

linda said...

Another great post. I feel fortunate that I have one baby picture of myself. This is a cute one of you and Kay. We should have kept that old brownie as it might be worth money as and antique! I'm heading over to Marg's blog. Thanks.

Amber said...

Cute picture. I have so many pictures too and don't even know where to start, thats why I am so bad at updating my blog.