Friday, August 17, 2012

Whitewashing the fence…

From Mark Twain, Tom Sawyer, Chapter Two, 1876.

“Tom appeared on the sidewalk with a bucket of whitewash and a long-handled brush. He surveyed the fence, and all gladness left him and a deep melancholy settled down upon his spirit. Thirty yards of board fence nine feet high. Life to him seemed hollow, and existence but a burden. Sighing, he dipped his brush and passed it along the topmost plank; repeated the operation; did it again; compared the insignificant whitewashed streak with the far-reaching continent of unwhitewashed fence, and sat down on a tree-box discouraged.

link

 

We know how you feel, Katie.

Thanks for your hard work!

image

Too bad you didn’t have any friends passing by to entice their help!

“And when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was literally rolling in wealth. He had besides the things before mentioned, twelve marbles,part of a jews-harp, a piece of blue bottle-glass to look through, a spool cannon, a key that wouldn’t unlock anything, a fragment of chalk, a glass stopper of a decanter, a tin soldier, a couple of tadpoles, six fire-crackers, a kitten with only one eye, a brass door-knob, a dog-collar – but no dog – the handle of a knife, four pieces of orange-peel, and a dilapidated old window sash.

He had had a nice, good, idle time all the while – plenty of company – and the fence had three coats of whitewash on it! If he hadn’t run out of whitewash he would have bankrupted every boy in the village.”

Katie, I’m sorry you didn’t make any “profits” while you were painting!

JoAnn

P.S.  Thanks for the picture Liz!

4 comments:

Liz, Karl, Madison, Brooklyn, Aubrey and Zachary said...

She did round up one straggler... Maddie did help for awhile. She just wasn't quite as efficient! :)

Lacey said...

Way to go Katie! Painting fences is not fun, especially when it's hot, but the results are immediate and beautiful!

Kay G. said...

Hello Joann!
You have a lovely blog.
May I just tell you that your flowers from the previous post are beautiful?
May I also say that had I walked by I would have helped with the fence, I would have, really!
Have a beautiful Sunday.
Kay

Mimi Sue said...

Now I feel like reading something by Mark Twain! Always good when the project is done. Mimi